Everyone needs a pen and a paper. Place a blank sheet of paper in front of you, in the landscape direction. We are all going on a vacation. Close your eyes keep them closed and I will tell you when it is okay to open them. We are going on a vacation to a tropical island, so draw an island in the middle of your paper.
- To the left of the island, draw a ship
- You are surrounded by water, so put some fish in the sea
- This is a tropical island, so put a palm tree on the island
- It is a nice day, so put some birds in the air
- That ship didn’t get there by itself, so put a sailor on the ship
- The sailor might get hungry, so put some coconuts on the palm tree
- Sailors like to see where they are going, so put portholes on the ship
- Sailors like to see entertainment, so draw a hula dancer on the island
- It is a sunny day, so put a sun in the sky
Okay everyone open your eyes and see how you did…
- 10 points if your island is in the middle
- 10 points if your ship is to the left of the island, but not touching it
- 15 points if you have more than one fish
- 20 points if the base of the palm tree is on the island
- 15 points if more than two of the birds are in the air
- 20 points if the sailor is on the ship, not swimming
- 15 points if any coconut is on the tree
- 25 points if any porthole is on the ship
- 25 points if the hula dancer is dancing on the island
- 20 points is the sun is to the left
- 15 points if the sun is to the right
- 10 points if the sun is in the middle
200 points possible. Person with the most points wins!
LEADERSHIP LESSON BREAKDOWN USING THE ACTIVITY EXPLAINED ABOVE:
- Don’t rush the PROCESS, rather enjoy it. Don’t be in a rush to get to the PRODUCT.
- Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance
- Trust the vision even though you can’t see the end product.
- Guidance is key. Model what you want others to do.
- Go Beyond. Go the 2nd Mile. Exceed Expectations. (More fish)
- Successful leaders have VISION.
- Take calculated risk. Don’t be afraid to “fail”.
- No idea (drawing) is a bad idea (drawing).
- Anticipate the little things and do them without being asked or told.